Friday, February 7, 2014

Ten Questions with Caitlin Cisler

Ten Questions with...









Caitlin Cisler, soprano
Marie in The Daughter of the Regiment





1. My favorite thing about being a singer is:
I get to do what I love every day. And on really special days, I get to share what I love with lots of other people!

2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is: 
Subjection to constant self-criticism. I also feel, though this is a challenge, it makes me live my best life most days.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is:
Carmina Burana, in college. In a live performance, that piece burrows into your bones and stays with you forever.

4. A few of my favorite films are:  
The Princess Bride and Zoolander - mostly because they remind me of great moments shared with great friends.

5. Three things I can’t live without are: 
The three C's: cheese, coffee, and cuddles. 

6. My number one hobby is: 
 Lately, hacking away at the ukulele.

7. If you could perform with any singer, retired or deceased, who would it be?
Maria Callas.

8. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
Medical research, probably.

9. What role do you wish you could sing that you could never sing because it’s the wrong voice type/gender?
The Marschallin in Der Rosenkavalier

10. Describe your favorite moment on stage. 
It's impossible to pick just one favorite moment, but I will always remember a particular performance of Hansel and Gretel. Hansel and I pushed the witch through the oven and the set came crashing down around her. Hansel and I look at each other - each of us obviously thinking "What do we do?? The show must go on!" and then looking at our accompanist whose face is beet-red from stifling laughter. I don't know how we made it through the next number, but when it was through the set was standing again and the witch had disappeared behind that oven. The show must always go on!

See Caitlin in Madison Opera's production of Donizetti's The Daughter of the Regiment (La Fille du R
égiment) February 7 & 9 in the Capitol Theater at Overture Center. Tickets start at just $25.

No comments: