Saturday, November 15, 2014

Ten Questions with Tara Faircloth

Ten Questions With...

Tara Faircloth
Stage Director of Fidelio 

1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born and raised in a small town in Georgia called Fort Valley.  No fort, no valley.

2.  If you weren't a stage director, what profession would you be in?
My degrees are all in singing, but I discovered directing just before I completed my master's degree.  If I was not in the performing arts, I would like to make my living making beautiful things... like arranging flowers or creating watercolors.

3.  My favorite opera is...
Oh, lordy.  Pass.

4.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Oysters and a dirty martini. (I'm not singing!)

5.  People would be surprised to know that...
I lived in an Airstream Travel Trailer for 3 years.  It allowed me to make the transition from singer to director without going bankrupt (yet).

6.  What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar / in the car / for karaoke?
None of the above.

7.  What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
Like most of us, I tend to binge watch excellent TV like Breaking Bad, The Wire, etc., and also not-so-excellent TV like The Tudors (costume research!).

8.  A few of my favorite films are...
The Secret in Their Eyes.  The Lives of Others.  Pride and Prejudice.

9.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?   
Fidelio, Fidelio, Fidelio, Midsummer Night's Dream, Nozze di Figaro.  If I am listening to music, it is generally to prep for work.  Also, I love to jam to the Monteverdi Vespers.  Hahaha.

10.  What is the best costume you've ever worn? 
I once had an AMAZING fuchsia satin Marie Antoinette-style gown for Casilda in The Gondoliers.

11.  Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  How does it feel to have just won that $55 million lottery, Ms. Faircloth?
A:  AMAZING!!!

Don't miss the chance to see Tara's production of Fidelio, Beethoven's only opera!  Performances are November 21 and 23 at Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: