Monday, February 2, 2015

Ten Questions with Jared Rogers

Ten Questions With...


Jared Rogers, tenor
Beadle Bamford in Sweeney Todd





1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born in Carthage, Illinois, but my dad was in the service, so I grew up all over - California, Oklahoma, Germany, Washington, etc...

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
Race car driver.  Formula 1, of course.

3.  My favorite opera is...
There are so many, but if I had to pick one it would be Eugene Onegin.  I love Russian!

4.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
A big steak after.  If I have anything before singing I feel sick, so by the time I'm done, I am famished.

5.  People would be surprised to know that...
I did not start singing until my second year in college.  I wouldn't even sing "Happy Birthday" until my twenties.

6.  What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar / in the car / for karaoke?
Anything by U2 from the 80s.

7.  What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
Game of Thrones, if that counts.

8.  A few of my favorite films are...
There are so many.... I love movies!  Pulp Fiction, Glory, Amadeus, A Bridge Too Far, the list goes on.

9.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?   
Callas, Wunderlich, Pavarotti, Terfel, and Sweeney Todd.

10.  What is the worst costume you've ever worn? 
A silver skirt, Mercury's helmet, roller blades, and nothing else.  It was a strange show.

11.  Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  Why opera and not some other form of singing?
A:  Because of many things, but the bottom line reason is in opera there is nowhere to hide.  No mic, no auto tune machine - if you don't have it, you don't have it.

Don't miss the chance to see Jared in Sweeney Todd, a thrilling American masterpiece!  Performances are February 6, 7, and 8 in the Capitol Theater.  Tickets start at $25; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: