Friday, April 3, 2015

Ten Questions with Doug Scholz-Carlson

Ten Questions With...




Doug Scholz-Carlson
Stage Director of
The Barber of Seville








1.  Where were you born / raised? 
Born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, but spent most of my growing up in Northfield, Minnesota.  I now live in Minneapolis with my family (wife and three daughters).

2.  If you weren't a director, what profession would you be in?
I would open a brewpub.

3.  My favorite opera is...
The Turn of the Screw.

4.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Thai Drunken Noodles.

5.  People would be surprised to know that...
I once loaned Bill Gates a million dollars (long story, but I'd be happy to tell it).  Maybe better is that I once did singing telegrams.

6.  What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar / in the car / for karaoke?
"Fly Me to the Moon."

7.  What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
Game of Thrones.

8.  A few of my favorite films are...
Cinema Paradiso, Moonrise Kingdom, Up.

9.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?   
Well, it would all be Barber of Seville right now.  Bruce Springsteen's We Shall Overcome album and a whole bunch of podcasts - Planet Money, Startup, Serial, Radiolab, Invisibility.

10.  What is the worst costume you've ever worn? 
Lyle the Crocodile.  It was hot, and if I fell over, stagehands would have to set me back on my feet.

11.  Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  Will you direct a production of Cymbeline for us?
A:  Yes.


Don't miss the chance to see Doug's production of The Barber of Seville, a classic operatic comedy!  Performances are April 24 and 26 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: