Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Ten Questions with Brenda Harris

Ten Questions With...


Brenda Harris, soprano
Aunt Cecilia iLittle Women




1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born in Highland, Illinois, about 20 miles from where I was raised, which is a town called New Douglas, Illinois, which boasts a population of 400.  Yes, 400.  Now, my husband claims that's a lie as he's never seen anything close to 400 people there and thinks the census bureau must have been counting livestock.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I'd probably be a realtor or a home stager.  LOVE all that stuff!

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
Menotti's Help, Help, the Globolinks!  ....Not making this up!

4.  My favorite opera is...
The one I'm currently singing.  ALWAYS.  I love my repertoire and am madly passionate about almost everything I sing!

5.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Pre:  Usually pasta.
Post:  Anything that goes with beer!

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
Between family and friends, I have probably over a dozen nicknames.

7.  My favorite book to read growing up was...
Black Beauty or The Wizard of Oz; hard to decide.

8.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists / songs would we see on you recently-played list?
Ella Fitzgerald, Ottmar Liebert, Jacqueline du Pré, Taylor Swift, and Patsy Cline.

9.  What is the worst costume you've ever worn?  Or if no such costume, what was the best costume?
I sang Rosina in The Barber of Seville exactly once in my life with a rag tag company and my costume didn't actually meet in the bodice in the back!  The best costume?  WAY too many to mention!

10.  Everyone should see Little Women because....
It's a classic.

Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  Do you feel lucky?
A:  Beyond belief!!! 


Don't miss the chance to see Brenda in Little Women, as this beloved American classic comes to vivid musical life!  Performances are February 5 and 7 in the Capitol Theater.  Tickets start at $25; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: